Home > Get Involved > How to Get Involved

Join our Electoral Roll



What is the Church Electoral Roll?

Required by church regulations, it is your parish church’s register of electors; it is the list of those qualified to attend and to vote at the Annual Parochial Church Meeting where the elections take place for:

  1. the parochial church council;
  2. the parish’s representatives on the deanery synod.

Any person entitled to attend the Annual Parochial Church Meeting (APCM) may raise any question of parochial or general church interest.  Renewal of the electoral roll takes place every six years (2019, 2025 etc). In a year of renewal, no names are carried over from the old roll and everyone must make a new application to be included on the new roll.  In the intervening years the names on the roll are carried over with changes including additions and deletions being made.

What difference does it make?

By enrolling you become a voting member of the Church of England and so help to ensure that all the synodical councils of the Church – the parochial church council, the deanery synod, the diocesan synod and the General Synod – are fully representative of its members.  Synodical government gives an opportunity for partnership between bishops, clergy and laity in the life of the Church.  First, the system is intended to enable church people at every level to be in touch with the Church as a whole and to play their part in decision-making.  Secondly, the system is intended to ensure that the laity have their place in every aspect of church life, including its doctrine and services.

How do I get on the Electoral Roll?

If you wish to be included, please fill in an electoral roll form (a separate one for each person) as soon as possible, and return it to the Parish Office. You can download and print as many forms as you need from the church website www.stpetershale.org.uk

Only the first page is required, but you should read the notes on the second page. If you have any difficulty printing the form additional forms may be obtained from the Parish Office 0161 928 3374.

How do I get off the Electoral Roll?

You may join or leave the roll at any time (except for the two weeks preceding an APCM). When completing the form, it would be most helpful if you could include your post code, telephone number, and if you would like to be contacted electronically, an email address.

How safe is my information?

The information on the form will be stored in a computer system under the provisions of the 1998 Data Protection Act. We may use this information to contact you from time to time about church matters, but it will not be made available to any third party.  If you do NOT wish to be on the Parish mailing list, please inform the Electoral Roll Officer via the Parish Office 0161 928 3374.


We believe it is important that everyone who values their connection with St Peter's, and fulfils the qualifications shown on the form, should be on the roll, and we look forward to receiving your completed forms.